Welcome to our monthly feature The PR Desk! Written by PR professional Heather Travis, it guides food bloggers on the ins and outs of navigating the world of PR agencies and brands. You've likely heard about thinking outside the box, but this month Heather encourages food bloggers to think outside the blog when working with brands!
As food bloggers and content creators we’ve learned the value of an owned home base. We each have our place online that's truly ours, which we own, that no matter the digital landscape or tools out there will live as long as we continue to give it life.
However, there are more ways to give your home base life than to feed it directly (creating your own content for sharing and directing back to your base). These are opportunities brands are looking for, and if you can be one of the partners in success, good on you! They'll love some outside-of-the-blog thinking. If you’ve done your brand research you’ll have a good idea of some ways — outside the typical recipe post or blog feature — that you can add value to both your brand and theirs.
So here are my top five ways to work with brands beyond your blog:
- Create content for a brand’s website, newsletter or social media platforms.
- Go old school and take your co-branded message to the media, like local papers, television stations and even radio.
- Offer up an unique in-person demo at a local food show or event.
- Do you have a complementary skill set? Graphic design, photography? Can you bundle services for the brand and offer up great content for their sites or platforms?
- Can you speak and write in another language? Are you able to provide content this way for brands with dual language social media efforts or websites?
Working with brands isn’t a one size fits all relationship. There are many ways to "make it work" and many opportunities for you to help your favourite brands beyond the blog.
What are some of your favourite ways to work with brands beyond the blog?How have they helped you expand your reach and challenge yourself?
- Desk: Setting Boundaries for Your Brand
- PR Desk: Working with Brands — Don’t #PRFail, Educate!
- PR Desk: Social Media — What Story Do YOU Want to Tell?
- PR Desk: Be Your Brand — Staying Consistent in Your Messaging
- PR Desk: Five Things To Do Before You Pitch
Heather Travis is a PR professional and lover of all things creative. She has extensive experience developing and implementing integrated public relations and marketing programs for agricultural brands, producers and processors, as well as high end sporting goods. She’s a DIY junkie with a mean power tool addiction, and can often be found painting, refinishing, and scouring both junk yards and antique markets for her next fix … err, piece of content for her blog heatherinheels.com. Find Heather on Twitter @heathertravis and Instagram @heathertravis.