This post is sponsored by Half Your Plate.
If there's one thing we love, it's ingredients and recipes that make life easier and get us out of the kitchen faster so we can spend time with people we love, doing things we really want to do.
That's why we love Christina Austin's peach salsa. It's a super easy way to add more fruits and veggies into your meal and with one ingredient you can create a savoury add on to your dinner and sweet dessert to wrap up the meal.
Peaches are the perfect summer fruit but they're only here for a short time. They're easy to care for once you get them home and here is loads of great info on choosing, storing and prepping peaches to get the most out of them.
Prep for these recipes is easy. Have two bowls standing by as you dice your peaches. Split up your diced peaches into the two bowls, designating one as your savoury salsa and one as your sweet salsa. Then add your other ingredients as needed and you've got a great topping for quesadillas, tacos, pork, chicken, or even just a savoury side dish and you have a delicious sweet salsa that you can enjoy as dessert on its own or as a topping for yogurt or ice cream. You can even lose any leftovers as a topping for oatmeal or granola for a Half Your Plate breakfast!
- 1 ½ cups diced fresh peaches (3-4 peaches depending on their size)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp (or more to taste) minced fresh chili pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp chopped from cilantro
- pinch of chili powder
- pinch of sea salt
- In a measuring cup, mix the chopped fresh peaches with the green onions, minced chili pepper, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Stir in the pinch of sea salt and chili powder.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with a few sprigs of cilantro and another small pinch of chili powder
- Serve with quesadillas, grilled chicken, fish or a simple bowl of tortilla chips.
- 1 cup diced fresh peaches (approximately 3 peaches)
- 1 tbsp halved blueberries
- 1 tbsp chopped strawberries
- 1 tsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve over vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Instagram Your Way to FBC2015 with Half Your Plate
Want to win a full conference pass to Canada's food blogging conference, FBC2015 in Montreal, this October? Here's your chance - you just have to get creative!
Between August 31st and September 15th, post a photo to your Instagram account showing a photo of your Half Your Plate inspired meal. You can post up to one photo a day so you have lots of chances to enter! Here are the details:
- your photo should showcase the Half Your Plate philosophy (fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables at every meal or snack)
- post your photo(s) to Instagram between August 31st, 2015 and September 15, 2015 - one photo entry per day please!
- tag @halfyourplatecanada in the photo.
- hashtag the photo #halfyourplate and #halfyourplatefbc2015
- you must be an FBC Member and a Canadian resident to participate. Contest is not open to Quebec residents
- if you've already bought your pass to FBC2015, you are still eligible to enter. If you win, we will refund your original ticket.
What you will win:
- one full conference pass to FBC2015. The conference is from October 23-25 at Le Westin in Montreal
- the pass will include two nights accommodation at Le Westin in Montreal (Oct 23 and Oct 24)
- the pass will include all meals and snacks from Friday dinner to Sunday lunch
- the pass will include all sessions on Saturday and Sunday
- the pass includes Friday and Saturday night entertainment
- the pass will include the conference SWAG bag
- the pass does not include the Friday pre-conference photography workshop
- the pass does not include travel to and from Montreal