As part of FBC's 5th anniversary we're sharing a special 24-day Holiday Countdown from December 1st to the 24th. We're going back in time to reconnect with some very special FBC Members. These Canadian food bloggers were among the very first FBCers to be showcased in our Friday Featured Blogger series that still runs today (we've featured almost 250 bloggers in five years!).
Name: Mayssam Samaha
Blog Name: Will Travel for Food
How has your blog evolved over the past five years?
It went from being a blog that was searching for itself — Is it a recipe blog? One that does restaurant reviews? Who am I, really? — to one with a clear mission of writing about travel with a food perspective.
What’s your favourite holiday tradition?
My holiday traditions are all about family. When I am home in Lebanon for the holidays, I cherish the fact that we always spend Christmas Eve together as a family, just my parents, my siblings and I. We have a quiet yet festive dinner on my mom’s best china with a lot of little plates covering the entire table. It’s such a contrast to Christmas Day, which is all about the extended family and friends and a huge celebration! Not a bad tradition in and of itself either!
Share a favourite holiday recipe with our readers
All of my favourite holiday recipes are so long and involve cooking for days! My mom is a terrific cook and an even better baker. I will share her salmon mousse recipe that’s fairly easy and makes a great addition to a holiday buffet.
- 500 g of smoked salmon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 gelatin sheets
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup half whipped, whipped cream
- White pepper, salt, paprika
- Soak the gelatin sheets in lukewarm water.
- Place salmon, capers, a pinch of salt, paprika and white pepper in food processor and process.
- Squeeze the gelatin sheets and add them, the lemon juice and the mayonnaise to the salmon mix and process until smooth.
- Fold in the whipped cream and place the mousse in the serving dish. It will set and you won’t be able to move it.
What are the must-have staples in your holiday pantry?
- Lots of chocolate for those emergency baking (and eating!) sessions!
Follow Will Travel for Food on Social Media
Be sure to check out all the bloggers in our Holiday Countdown Series and find out how their blogging journey has progressed over the last five years!