Looking for something special to celebrate Mom's big day? We've got you covered with all kinds of Mother's Day gift ideas for every budget. And, we'll take it a step further with four great prizes up for grabs that will make perfect gifts for any mom who loves food as much as we all do!
Cook the Books
1. The Sobo Cookbook: Sobo has since become a destination restaurant, having outgrown its food truck beginnings, with visitors making the pilgrimage to the west coast of Vancouver Island just to taste chef Lisa Ahier’s cooking–which is, to use Tofino slang, simply “killer”. The Sobo Cookbook includes over 100 of the restaurant’s all-time favourite recipes–recipes that have fed surfers, hungry locals, curious visitors and die-hard foodies alike. We have one author signed copy of Sobo Cookbook to give away courtesy of Random House Canada - see end of the post for details.
2. Delicious: In her bestselling memoirs Ruth Reichl has long illuminated the theme of how food defines us, and never more so than in her dazzling fiction debut about sisters, family ties, and a young woman who must finally let go of guilt and grief to embrace her own true gifts. We have one author signed copy of Delicious to give away courtesy of Random House Canada - see end of the post for details.
3. Blue Plate Special: A delectable memoir about the transformative power of food, Blue Plate Special is a deeply personal narrative in which food becomes the vehicle for exploring a life. Hungry not just for food, but for love and a sense of belonging, Christensen writes honestly about her struggle to find the contentment she has always yearned for. A beautifully written account of a knockabout life, full of sorrows, pleasures—and, of course, food—Blue Plate Special is a delicious reading experience. We have one author signed copy of Blue Plate Special to give away courtesy of Random House Canada - see end of the post for details.
4. The Oh She Glows Cookbook: FBC Member Angela Lidden's long-awaited debut cookbook, with a treasure trove of more than a hundred mouth-watering, wholesome recipes – from revamped classics that even meat-eaters will love, to fresh and inventive dishes – all packed with flavor.
5. My Paris Kitchen: David Lebovitz remasters the classics, introduces lesser-known fare, and presents 100 sweet and savory recipes that reflect the way modern Parisians eat today. David also shares stories told with his trademark wit and humor, and lush photography taken on location around Paris and in David’s kitchen reveals the quirks, trials, beauty, and joys of life in the culinary capital of the world.
6. Bouchon Bakery: Not a new release, but a favourite of ours here at FBC. The tastes of childhood have always been a touchstone for Thomas Keller, and in this dazzling amalgam of American and French baked goods, you'll find recipes for the beloved TKOs and Oh Ohs (Keller's takes on Oreos and Hostess's Ho Hos) and all the French classics he fell in love with as a young chef apprenticing in Paris: the baguettes, the macarons, the mille-feuilles, the tartes aux fruits.
Helping Hands in the Kitchen
1. The iconic KitchenAid Stand Mixer: Green Apple, Ice Blue, Watermelon and Majestic Yellow are a few of the cheerful colours to bestow upon mom this spring. As we wind down from the long winter and clear countertops for warmer weather, Mother's Day is the perfect excuse to brighten her day (and kitchen) with a new countertop appliance. The classic Artisan Stand Mixer is the perfect tool for all of her culinary aspirations. Why not help take her culinary creativity to the next level with one of the many Stand Mixer Attachments available for grinding meat, rolling pasta, making ravioli or dicing vegetables
2. KitchenAid 5 Speed Blender: The New Diamond Blender with patented diamond jar creates a mixing vortex for 20 second smoothies. It also boasts a Crush Ice mode that pulses automatically at staggered intervals to improve ice-crushing efficiency.
3. KitchenAid Electric Variable Temperate Kettle: This kettle combines beautiful design and smart functionality; the variable temperature feature allows you to keep track of both the water temperature and level even if removed from the base. It also boasts 1.7 litre capacity, 30 minute keep warm feature and an automatic shutoff function
4. The Philips Airfryer is a counter-top appliance that provides a more healthful way to fry, bake, roast and caramelize your favourite foods. Using Rapid Air Technology for the perfect result, your food will contain less fat than traditional cooking methods without sacrificing taste. For more info visit the Philips website.
5. The Breville Smart Scoop Ice Cream Machine produces homemade frozen desserts that can be as simple or decadent as you wish. It's the first ice cream maker that automatically senses the hardness of the mixture! With 12 different hardness settings, the Breville Smart Scoop lets you know when your frozen treat is ready whether it’s a sorbet, frozen yogurt, gelato or ice cream. The built‐in compressor will let you enjoy multiple batches of ice cream without ever having to pre‐freeze the cylinder bowl like many other brands. Learn more at Breville. We have one Breville Smart Scoop Ice Cream Machine to give away courtesy of Breville - see the end of the post for details!
6. Cuisinox Coffee Press - this sleek and elegant 6 cup french coffee press gives the mom who loves coffee the purest infusion of coffee and water without using paper filters. The double walled stainless steel thermo press keeps the coffee hot for us to two hours (and it works for tea as well!).
Useful and Fun!
1. & 2. We absolutely fell in love with these adorable coffee, jam and veggie washi tapes from Omiyage that are perfect for adding a special touch to household items, gift wrapping and handwritten notes. Dress up kitchen canisters with a strip of your favourite tape or create your own stickers to use on gift tags or cards. We thought it would be perfect for giving your canning and homemade jam jars labels some extra personality!
3. Speaking of canning and jam making, how about an HIC Canning Kit for mom this year? This kit is complete with a canning funnel, stainless steel tongs, jar wrench, magnetic canning lid and a jar lifter - everything mom needs to get started.
4. Have some fun keeping drinks cold this summer with these cute penguin ice cube molds that do double duty as baking molds. The molds are made of silicone and are heat resistant up to 450F, as well as being dishwasher safe. Also available as ducks, hearts, and fish!
5. Bamboo Non-Skid Coasters in a functional holder and fun colours are perfect for keeping those cold drinks from messing up tables and, they double as a great photography prop for the mom who blogs!
6. We also loved the simplicity of this beautiful eco-friendly bamboo untensil holder. It will keep mom's utensils easy to reach and her kitchen counter looking sharp!
1. Let mom indulge with a cup of Mighty Leaf tea. Available in a wide range of flavours, our favourite is the warm comforting vanilla bean!
2. And what could be a prettier way to indulge in that cup of tea than with this all in one cherry blossom tea mug complete with strainer and lid? It's microwave and dishwasher safe and holds a generous 12 oz cup of tea.
3. Mother's Day wouldn't be complete without breakfast in bed and Foodie Pages has the perfect Breakfast Box. Six delicious small batch foods perfect for a wholesome Mother's Day breakfast. Treat Mom to some of our favourite breakfast finds, including gluten free granola from Kimberley's Own, Ontario blueberry spread from Stasis Preserves, and Earl Grey Jasmine Tea from one of Canada's top tea sommeliers.
4. We can all use a simple pleasure to enjoy with a cup of tea or a mug of coffee. And Dare's Simple Pleasure cookies like these Oatmeal Dark Chocolate ones are the perfect companion. With 8 flavours, there's sure to be one to tempt every mom.
5. If tea or coffee aren't mom's thing then why not some luxurious Green & Black's Organic Cocoa? Make a smooth, delicious cup of cocoa or add a special touch to baking goodies with this organic fair trade cocoa.
6. The Coffee Mix's Fabulous 35 K-cup Sampler Pack is perfect for letting mom try a variety of flavoured coffees, teas, hot cocoas and more. It's a great way to try flavours you've never had before without committing to a whole box and works with Keurig single serve brewers.
Enter to Win A Great Gift For Mother's Day
We are thrilled to be able to offer up 4 great prizes as part of our Mother's Day Gift Guide giveaway. You must be a resident of Canada to participate. There are 4 individual prizes up for grabs:
- 1 author signed copy of The Sobo Cookbook by Lisa Ahier courtesy of Random House Canada
- 1 author signed copy of Delicious by Ruth Reichl courtesy of Random House Canada
- 1 author signed copy of Blue Plate Special by Kate Christensen courtesy of Random House Canada
- 1 Breville Smart Scoop Ice Cream Maker courtesy of Breville