This month we're featuring a series of holiday entertaining menu plans! Be it a cocktail party, a Christmas brunch, a New Year's Eve fete, to name a few, we've got 5 great FBC Members who will be sharing menu plans and entertaining tips so you'll have your holiday parties covered. Here's everything you need to make the perfect holiday sweets table!
The Holiday Entertaining Menu Plan is brought to you by the Egg Farmers of Canada!
For part 3 in our 5 part series of holiday entertaining menus we look to Lisa Dawn Bolton. Lisa has put together a Holiday Sweets Table that will have your guests taking one of each - because who can say no to sweets?!
Whether you are creating a sweets buffet table all on your own or are asking your guests to contribute to a cookie swap here are some great ideas for twists on holiday classics that will make your Sweets Buffet or Cookie Swap a success! (And almost every recipe uses Canadian Eggs!)
Meyer Lemon and Rosemary Glazed Butter Cookies
The festive season would not be complete without a rich and delicate butter cookie like this Meyer Lemon & Rosemary Glazed Butter Cookie. The sweetness of this traditional holiday bite if offset with a bite of lemon and aromatic rosemary in the glaze.
Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Nanaimo Bars
Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Nanaimo Bars are a great seasonal twist on a Canadian classic that will make your contribution to the dessert buffet stand out.
Sweet & Sticky Caramel Monkey Bread
Sweet & Sticky Caramel Monkey Bread is a fun dessert to bring to an open house or small gathering – especially if there are little ones – that encourages everyone to dig in and get a little sticky. Have lots of napkins on hand for everyone to clean up with afterwards!
Chocolate Krinkles (From Egg Farmers of Canada)
Everyone loves Chocolate Krinkle Cookies! These fudgy sugar-coated cookies are much loved by the Roseglen Hutterite Colony. In fact, the recipe they use calls for 90 eggs, 52 cups flour and 11-1/4 cups oil! That’s a big batch of cookies! This recipe shrinks it down so you can use it for your cookie swap or sweets table!
Dark Chocolate Stout Brownies
An adult twist on a childhood favourite, Dark Chocolate Stout Brownies, are a decadent treat anytime. Crushed candy canes sprinkled on top of the whip cream dollop would add a some holidays flare.
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
A soft & spicy cookie with a little less sugar than most holiday sweets, these Pumpkin Spice Cookies could be a healthier contributon to a dessert table.
Cookies For The Pups
And so the four legged are not left out...What I think amounts to a perfect hostess gift for a dog lover - cookies for the four legged kids in the family.
- If you're hosting a cookie swap or sweets buffet, provide disposable containers for guests to take home cookies or leftovers - there are many disposable multi-use plastic containers available at the grocery store or you can try Chinese takeout food boxes
- make sure to have a good selection of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and even milk for your guests to wash down all those sweets!
- if your sweets table is going to be pot luck or a cookie swap, encourage guests to share what they will be bringing in advance so you don't have duplicates!
The Whole Holiday Entertaining Series
- Monday - The Cocktail Party (Jan Scott of Family Bites)
- Tuesday - The Casual Open House (Marlene Cornelis of Life Through the Kitchen Window
- Wednesday - The Holiday Sweets Table (Lisa Bolton of Food Well Said)
- Thursday - The Christmas Brunch (Jacqueline Delisle of Cooking With Jax)
- Friday - The New Years Eve Party (Brittany Stager of My Daily Randomness)
Lisa Dawn Bolton is a food stylist, recipe developer and creator of beautiful grazing boards. You can find her work at lisadawnbolton.com. She lives in the Lower Mainland of BC. Her first cookbook, On Boards, (affiliate link), released by Appetite by Penguin Random House in October 2018 is now available. You can reach her on Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook.