A bowl of soup is a powerful dish. It evokes a feeling of warmth, comfort on a cold day and something that you helped prepare at home with your mother growing up.
THE SOUP SISTERS COOKBOOK offers 100 Simple Recipes to Warm Hearts . . .One Bowl at a Time
With 100 recipes arranged by season, The Soup Sisters Cookbook is a truly unique way to enjoy heartwarming soups throughout the year.
The Soup Sisters Cookbook showcases scrumptious recipes from the "souper volunteers" of the Soup Sisters alongside recipes from many of Canada's top celebrity chefs--including Michael Stadtlander, Bonnie Stern, Lucy Waverman, Massimo Capra, Anna Olson, Michael Bonacini and Elizabeth Baird. With 100 recipes arranged by season, The Soup Sisters Cookbook is a
truly unique way to enjoy heartwarming soups throughout the year. There is advice on making and storing stock; the equipment and techniques you need for successful soup making; and a full list of essential pantry ingredients. It is certain to appeal to soup-lovers everywhere!
Soup Sisters are a Calgary-based non-profit enterprise founded in 2009 by Sharon Hapton. They are dedicated to making a tangible difference to the lives of women and children in need. Soup Sisters believe in the power of soup, and the nutrition, comfort and warmth that the gift of soup can bring. This belief has resonated quickly and profoundly with communities across Canada, who have come together through their local Soup Sisters event to cook, share and donate soup to women's shelters in their own community. The Soup Sisters' growing network has over 4,500 supporters, who collectively donate over 8,000 bowls of soup every month, with over 75,000 donated to date. There are Soup Sisters locations across Canada and you too, could prepare a bowl of soup and make a difference.
The Soup Sisters Cookbook: 100 Simple Recipes to Warm Hearts…One Bowl at a Time
Edited by Sharon Hapton & Pierre A. Lamielle Published Appetite by Random House
Curried Sweet Potato, Carrot and Red Lentil
Julie Van Rosendaal - Cookbook Author and Blogger - Dinner with Julie
Makes about 4 servings
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder, or more to taste
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt or whipping cream (35% MF)
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in the oil, until the onion is softened.
- Stir in the carrots, sweet potato, lentils and curry powder.
- Add the stock and 1 cup (250 mL) water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Purée until smooth. Add the yogurt. Reheat over medium heat(without boiling), and add salt to taste.
- Ladle up a bubbly bowl of sweet lentil soup.
The good folks at Appetite by Random House have kindly offered three (3) copies of The Soup Sisters Cookbook to Food Bloggers of Canada members. Simply leave a comment below on this post as to what is your favourite soup (and if there's a particular reason why, please share the story). The giveaway ends at 11:59pm on Friday, November 30th and three winners will be selected at random and announced Monday, Dec. 3 in the FBC News post.