Are you getting enough vegetables in your diet every day? It doesn't have to be hard - especially if you follow the "half your plate" principle and you have delicious recipes like these Roasted Veggie Pita Wraps.
This post is in partnership with halfyourplate.ca
Getting enough vegetables into your diet or your family's diet may seem hard but it doesn't have to be. Not sure how many veggies you need? Or what a serving is? Don't worry about it. Follow this simple rule: Fill half you plate at every meal or snack with vegetables or fruit.
That's it! Easy peasy! (mmm... peas!).
Roasting vegetables is a great way to bring out deeper flavours - especially in root vegetables. All you need is a quick drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and some lemon juice. Try adding some garlic for even more flavour.
A few tips for roasting vegetables:
- the oven needs to be hot. At least 400F (unless you are doing a long slow roast). Make sure it has fully preheated before putting your tray in
- spread the vegetables out evenly and give them room to breathe. This will have them brown up rather than turn into steamy mush
- timing is everything. Harder veg like squash and carrots take longer to roast than softer veggies like zucchini, eggplant or tomatoes. Either cut your hard veg into smaller pieces or add your soft veggies in later in the cooking process.
- toss your vegetables half way through to make sure they brown evenly
Roasted vegetables are delicious in a sandwich, wrap, as a dinner or lunch side (or even a breakfast side - tomatoes roast really fast!). And you can give them a few blitzes in the food processor to add extra dimension to dips, sauces and soups.
Here's an easy recipe to get started with these Roasted Veggie Pita Wraps. Watch the video and then try the recipe below. Enjoy!
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups roughly chopped zucchini
- 1 red pepper sliced into strips
- 4 cups of eggplant roughly chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt plus extra to taste
- ¼ fresh ground black pepper plus extra to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme (optional)
- 4 pitas
- ½ cup of hummus
- pickled beets or carrots (or other pickled veggies)
- alfalfa sprouts
- mixed greens
- hot sauce (optional)
- preheat oven to 400F
- combine chopped cauliflower, zucchini, red pepper and eggplant in a large bowl
- slice the lemon into 4 quarters
- add salt, pepper and the juice of one quarter lemon to the vegetables
- drizzle with olive oil - you'll want enough to coat the veggies when you mix them
- stir your veggie mixture until all your veggies are evenly coated with the oil and lemon mixture
- spread onto a large baking sheet - spread them evenly with space between all the veg
- top with fresh sprigs of thyme
- put the baking sheet in the preheated oven - make sure the oven has fully preheated - this is important when roasting vegetables
- bake for 25 minutes but check half way through and toss veggies on the tray. Once they hit the 20 minutes mark, keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn!
- let the veggies cool enough so that they're easy to handle
- spread out your four pitas and spread a layer of hummus on each one
- then top with roasted veggies, some pickled veggies, sprouts and mixed greens
- give each one an extra squirt of lemon juice
- fold pitas up to form a wrap and drizzle with tahini or hot sauce and eat!