Turkey Meatballs are so easy to make and are the perfect accompaniment to rice or pasta. Adding canned peaches to your meatball recipe gives it just the right amount of sweetness to balance all that savoury flavour.
This post is another easy canned peach recipe sponsored by California Cling Peaches. You can follow California Cling Peaches on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for more canned peach recipe inspiration!
I enjoy cooking and spending time in the kitchen, but when possible I try to make a large amount of food so I can freeze and save some for future meals. And meatballs are perfect to make and then repurpose a few different ways over the course of the week. The other reason meatballs are such a great thing to make is because they're so versatile and open to adaptation ... case in point is the addition of canned peaches to these turkey meatballs.
With February being Canned Food Month, my inspiration these turkey peach meatballs was combining a mix of canned goods to make a dish that's flavourful, would provide multiple meals and be cost effective. Using a can of tomato sauce, a can of lentils and the carrots and peas canned combo to go along with the canned peaches, I was able to bring this recipe together pretty quickly, only having to spend time assembling everything.
With the winter blues upon us, I was craving some brightness to this meal and the canned peaches were the ideal choice for the meatballs. Coming from sunny California, Cling Peaches are canned within 24 hours of arriving at the processing plant, which means their nutritional value of Vitamins A and C remains intact.
As an added bonus, they're packed in their own juices, which provides tons of additional flavour when cooking or baking with them. I chopped up the peaches and included them in the meatballs themselves and saved the juice to include in the tomato sauce, adding just the right amount of sweetness to all the spices and heat.
The meatballs were served with rice the first night but they're awesome on a sandwich, pizza or even lettuce wraps! Add a couple extra slices of peach for a pop of colour and an extra juicy bite.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup California Cling Peaches - roughly chopped
- 1 cup green lentils - puréed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove - finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 796ml can tomato sauce
- ½ cup juice from canned peaches
- 398 ml can carrots/peas
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Combine all ingredients for meatballs in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Remove meatball mixture from fridge, roll into small balls and lay onto baking sheet. (Should make about 20 to 24 balls.)
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While meatballs are in the oven, combine all sauce ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and reduce to simmer.
- Once meatballs are out of the oven, transfer gently to pot, cover with lid and let simmer for 2 hours.
More Recipe Ideas
We've got even more easy peach recipes for you to try:
- Quick and Easy Peach Salsa
- Peach Barley Salad With Asparagus and Feta
- Chipotle Peach Chili
- Make Ahead Muesli and Peach Smoothie Breakfast Jars