Salsa from scratch during winter can seem like a tough order to fill but it doesn't have to be! This quick and easy peach salsa recipe takes advantage of canned peaches and citrus season to bring sunshine to your snack table.
Salsa is one of those recipes that's so incredibly easy to make on your own and that's really hard to screw up. Which is why this peach salsa recipe is a perfect one to have on hand year round - whether it's for game day snacks or to liven up an omelette or give an extra little zip to a pork chop.
For us, the keys to a good, chunky homemade salsa are a good sized, sharp knife (we like a chef's knife), a juicy lime and a fruit or veg that's perfect for the spotlight.
So let's bring on the peaches! Canned peaches are perfect for homemade salsa because they're already peeled and sliced, they have the same nutritional benefits as their fresh counterparts (which is perfect for this time of year) and they come packed in extra juice that works well for adding additional flavour and keeping your salsa moist without having to rely on oil.
They also pair up perfectly with limes - that signature salsa flavour component. And they love some additional heat from chilies or peppers - which will really make that peachy flavour pop.
And of course, if you're like me, then you love a table spread that's full of colour and peach salsa is a rainbow of tempting colours that you want to dive right into.
A Few Recipe Notes For Making Peach Salsa
You'll notice in this recipe we left out jalepenos but you can absolutely add in your favourite peppers or chilis - just know your heat tolerance and that of your guests (and be careful when chopping chilis or peppers - use gloves if need be and avoid eye contact with the juices)
To get the most out of your lime, roll the lime on the counter under your palm a few times to soften it up and get the juices flowing before attempting to squeeze the juices out.
Let your salsa sit in the fridge for 30 - 60 minutes before serving so all the flavours can meld. Then pull it out of the fridge a few minutes before serving to warm up and let the flavours pop even more!
Peach salsa is great with nachos and tacos but it's also a wonderful accompaniment to chicken, fish, pork and eggs so don't be afraid to put it on your brunch table or serve it as a side at dinner.
- 1 398ml can of sliced peaches, drained (reserve the drained syrup). This equals about one cup of sliced peaches
- ⅓ cup of finely chopped purple onion
- ⅓ cup of finely chopped red bell pepper
- ½ bunch of cilantro
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup of reserved peach syrup
- juice of one lime
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- pat the peach slices dry with some paper towel and roughly chop them
- place into a large bowl with chopped purple onion and pepper - don't stir to combine yet!
- roughly chop the cilantro and add to the peach mixture (you can leave a few sprigs for garnish if you wish)
- in a separate bowl combine the lime juice, peach syrup, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Once combined, pour over the peach mixture
- stir all the ingredients together just enough to combine and distribute the colours evenly. Don't stir too heavily or the ingredients can get a bit mushy - they'll still taste great but it won't look as pretty!
- let the salsa sit in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to let the flavours combine
- remove from the fridge a few minutes before serving to allow the flavours to come to room temp
More Recipe Ideas
We've got even more sunny peach recipes for you to try:
- Peach Cardamom Sticky Buns
- Peach Barley Salad With Asparagus and Feta
- Chipotle Peach Chili
- Make Ahead Muesli and Peach Smoothie Breakfast Jars