Tis the season to make your list and check it twice! And what kind of self-respecting food lovers would we be around here if we didn't pull together a list of some of our very favourite things this year to help you make your shopping easy! There's something for everyone - including your favourite food bloggers (who may not want food at all!) in our food lover's gift guide!
**This post contains affiliate links. In plain English that means that when you click on the link and make a purchase, we receive a small commission. It does not alter the price you pay but it helps us run this site and support the work that Canadian food bloggers do. **
The Tea Lovers
Tea is hot right now (literally - unless you prefer iced tea! haha!). Our FBC editor is a huge tea lover so here are some of her favourites this year!
- If you love tea then you need to visit the delightful blog by FBC Member The Sugared Tea Cup! And this holiday season Deb, the tea lover behind the blog, launched her own Sugared Tea Cup Tea Box service showcasing some of the best tea shops and tea companies in Toronto. If you have a tea lover in the GTA on your list, they will love these carefully curated boxes!
- Breville's new Tea Maker includes precise tea infusion capability for whatever type of tea you choose to drink, with exact water temperatures and controlled brew times. It's amazing!
- The Book of Tea by Kakuzo Okakura is a delightful little volume first published in 1906 and still in print today. It explores Zen, Taoism, Tea Masters and the significance of the Japanese Tea Ceremony
- We fell in love with one of these Cast Iron Teapots while staying in a Montreal Air BnB that was obviously owned by passionate tea lovers. We've been hoping for one under our tree ever since and this pretty blue one would fit the bill!
- All food aficionados covet Le Creuset in their kitchen and a sturdy Le Creuset mug will be perfect for cold winter morning with a cuppa.
Add a little personality to your kitchen with these unique finds!
- FBC Member Jodi from Legal Nomads has channeled her love for culinary travel with her beautiful prints of hand drawn food maps by country (pictured is Mexico but Italy, Vietnam, Thailand and Portugal are also available). They come in black on white and white on black. You can also purchase tote bags and t-shirts with the designs!
- FBC Member Jan from Kitchen Heals Soul has long been charming her readers with her whimsical monthly baking desktop calendars. This year she's put together 12 of her sweet food photos into a physical calendar that will be perfect for hanging in your kitchen to jot down important dates!
- Add a touch of fun to your kitchen with this adorable "Catwalk" Cotton Tea Towel - perfect for the food loving catlover on your list!
- If clean and sleek is more what you're looking for, this hanging walk clock made with kitchen utensils is just the thing - and it's guaranteed to start some conversations!
We're captivated by teal right now - it evokes warmer temperatures and sandy, tropical beaches as well as lending a retro feel to your kitchen. So we scoured the internet to find matching teal and turquoise finds!
- Calypso Basics Spoon Rest
- Now Designs Bread Tin (Now is one of our favourite amazon shops for great kitchen finds!)
- Now Designs 3 Quart Metal Colander
- DII Cotton Dish Towels
- DII Cotton Oven Gloves
- Bai Retro Kitchen Timer and Wall Clock
Get Your Bake On
Nothing says love like homemade baked goods made just for you!
- Nordicware is known for their creative and fun bundt pans - we know a lot of our cake baking members use them (check out Liv For Cake for some examples!). This Blossom Bundt Pan will allow for some beautiful creations.
- For the cookie maker on your list, they'll love these Nordicware All Season Cookie Impression Stamps
- For the novice cake decorator on your list, get them started off right with this Peyou Cake Decorating Set that includes 24 piping tips, a reusable silicone pastry bag and 2 reusable couplers (this is a great gift for cupcake and cooke makers too!)
- Cake, cupcake and cookie decorators can never have enough silicone pastry bags for their different coloured frostings. This set of 4 different sized, reusable bags will come in handy!
- Make baking cleanup easy with this 24 pack of Patec Silicone baking cups - they make a great stocking stuffer!
- Cookina's new Parchimum offers all the benefits of using parchment paper in your baking but... it's one reusable sheet! Less waste and we've been impressed with it in our own baking!
All A-Gog Over Gadgets
Kitchen tech is always fun and this year saw the rise of the InstaPot and the renewal of the trusty slow cooker. Which one do you prefer?
- The Classic Crockpot Slow Cooker is seeing new life this year, as we've seen with books like The Asian Slow Cooker by FBCer Kelly Kwok, The Best of Bridge The Family Slow Cooker by FBCers Julie Van Rosendaal and Elizabeth Chorney-Booth with Sue Duncan and Slower is Better from Ricardo
- The InstaPot exploded with food bloggers this year and it's so new, that there aren't even any cookbooks out for it yet (but check out great blogs like The Yum Yum Factor for recipe ideas for these updated, kitchen friendly pressure cookers)! Speed up your weeknight meal prep with these very handy appliances
- Every kitchen should have a digital scale - especially for baking. This Smart Weigh Professional Digital Scale will fit the bill if you don't have one!
- The Patec Digital Instant Thermometer will be your lifesaver - it works for meat both in the oven and on the grill, and it can be used as a candy thermometer.
For The Food Blogger in Your Life
The food blogger in your life may have a long list of things they'd love to have to make their blogging lives easier and help them stay inspired. And they probably don't include food! Here's a few ideas (and we should know!)
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert - creativity and inspiration are the lifeblood of a food blogger and sometimes, we need some help. This book will do just that.
- Foldio Lightbox: dark days and long nights can hamper the best food photographer. These handy, light and portable light boxes can bring some much needed breathing room between cooking and photographing in the last vestiges of daylight
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby. Kelby's Lightroom series is one of the most helpful books for digital photographers who struggle with how to use Lightroom or just post process their photos (and a subscription to the Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CC photography bundle would probably make you a super star to the food blogger in your life!)
- Food Styling: The Art of Preparing Food For the Camera by Delores Custer. Known as the food stylist's bible, this is a must have for every food blogger - especially those who struggle with their styling!
- Magazine subscriptions to some of their favourite publications. We love Ricardo Magazine (in French and English), Where Women Cook (they feature many bloggers!) and BBC Good Food )
- Shooting over photos and videos is a huge challenge for food bloggers - so that's why one of our members, Kiran from Happy Gut, created The Overhead Pro tripod! Use the code FBCSPECIAL to receive $5 off any Overhead Pro purchase.
Other great suggestions include prepaying for a year of their hosting fees, fun food props, a photography class or workshop or new camera gear!
That's a wrap for 2016. We hope you found something for all the foodies on your list!